20 January 2009

Today: The Work That Lies Ahead


The now very iconic "Hope" poster of Barack Obama, courtesy of a contributor pool from Flickr.



Words from The Man himself, who (thankfully) became President today...

For everywhere we look, there is work to be done. The state of the economy calls for action, bold and swift, and we will act — not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth. We will build the roads and bridges, the electric grids and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together. We will restore science to its rightful place, and wield technology's wonders to raise health care's quality and lower its cost. We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age. All this we can do. All this we will do.

~ President Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States of America, January 20, 2009

A complete copy of his Inaugural Speech can be found here.

The speech, while well-written and focused, was also not as electric as it had been hyped up to be. It was not like one given by the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., nor Abraham Lincoln, nor John F. Kennedy...all of whom Obama has been compared to, for various reasons, for many months now. Nor was today's speech too akin to the one he gave after securing the Democratic nomination. However, it was concise, direct, and full of confidence...and what a change that was to see, even from the confines from my living room. But then again, I'm not sure I want an 'electric' President in office; instead, I want one not afraid to do things and see that they are done...and does them fairly, openly, and without breaking umpteen Constitutional laws to do so. (Let's face it, that would be a nice damn change, too, from the last decade, truly, when you consider the whole Dubya administration and the last two years of the Clinton presidency...the latter which was politically immobilized after the Monica Lewinsky debacle.)

I liked what I saw and heard from our new President, although I am anxious for the details to come forth and the plans to be implemented. But one day at a time, people, one day at a time. However, for the first time in a very, very long time, I felt I could truly support my leader once again.

Funny how that whole thing with 'faith' and 'trust' works in politics, isn't it?

Additionally, I found the following links that I feel are worth a look:

  • Help Obama Restore America on the Internet

  • And my favourite comic of Bush so far (one I could not wait to see, truth be told)...although it will come and go all too fleetingly
  • No comments: