02 February 2008

The Divine Missus King at CC's

Oh, it's good to go watch people who really know how to sing (versus yours truly who can't even hum along to a song without it being off-tune, as evidenced whenever I attempt to do so during Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"). And tonight I get to go hear a real professional...who is also a super smart, funny and clever lass...in person.

Saturday night, at about 10pm, over at CC's in Raleigh, the divine Mrs Heather Patterson King (aka the ever-charming wife of the exceptionally talented front man from Hercules Mulligan, Chris King), will be showing off her extensive singing skills in her first (I think) gig there. She's singing there with another North Carolina Theatre pro, Jay Wright. The WR and I will be coming from the HM group (as will her beloved hubby), although WR is a bit of a regular at CC's. (Again, hopefully he will keep me in check from giving shoe advice to the slingback heels-challenged cross dressers.) I've been to CC's once before (to the same Piano Bar), about 5 weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed myself while I was entertained by pianist Kevin and his partner, doing a rip-roaring Christmas show medley, no less. I found the audience to be very attentive, so I'm hoping they'll be equally as welcoming to Missus (Patterson) K.

While I knew Heather was lucky enough to work professionally in the field of her passion (as an acting and vocal skills instructor, versus the rest of us who somehow 'settle' for something sometimes far akin from those dreams), I really had no idea of some of her professional experience. (Note to self: I really need to give the local arts scene a more thorough chance this year, as it's clearly blossoming with talented people such as Heather.) Some of her professional bio details (and yes, I do plan on asking her how it was working with Paul Sorvino...whom I adore...when I can get a quiet chance to do so):
...a jazz and musical theatre vocalist who has been performing around the country for over 20 years. She has performed at the North Carolina Theatre and as Glinda in "The Wizard of Oz", and Fruma Sarah in "Fiddler on the Roof", (opposite Paul Sorvino). She has been seen in many regional theatre productions including Mrs. Potts in Disney’s "Beauty and the Beast", Eliza in "My Fair Lady", Meg in "Damn Yankees", Vi Moore in "Footloose", and Lady Capulet in "Romeo and Juliet". She has performed at the North Hills Christmas Spectacular and Our State concert with Broadway Veteran Ray Walker. Heather holds an MFA in Acting from the University of Louisville and a BA in Theatre and Music from Franklin College...

Hopefully with some luck, I'll be able to get a few pics of the Missus K and be able to post here. So, if you're in the area tonight, come on down to the downtown Raleigh area and take in her show. While CC's does not serve food, there are several local restaurants all within a short distance of the venue where one can eat beforehand (and I highly recommend Cafe Luna over by Moore Square if you're in that direction, even if their wine by the glass selections are very limited). Get to CC's, early, though (it's Saturday night, after all, people), as the multiple construction projects all around downtown has eliminated some old parking areas. The Divine Missus K is most definitely worth your time and efforts.

No comments: