06 April 2013

Social Calendar Updates - April 6-12th '13 edition

Thank the heavens it's the weekend. And thank the heavens, too...for (finally!) Spring is coming. (And, in comparison to most, I have absolutely no reason at all to complain about our winter. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I've earned my PhD in Complaining now.  So why let great life experience go to waste??)

That said, I'm taking a quick moment to update several things of interest on the 'to do' calendar (in general for right now):

Today, April 6th:
  • For the NCAA basketball fans out there (go Wichita State! my underdog love goes unchecked still), Southern Rail in Carrboro is having a viewing party (both for the semis today and the actual final game on Monday).  Free admission, but I recommend dining/beers there any time.
  • And, for something completely new to my experience:  The Vaudevillain Revue - U.S.Oh! is on over at Motorco tonight.  Promises to have "...live music, burlesque, comedy, circus arts, and general shenanigans...". (Seriously, now, who doesn't like 'general shenanigans'?  Not love them, even?)  Doors open at 9pm, $10 tix now (plus Eventbrite charges, I think, unless bought in advance or at Motorco proper).  Facebook page updates here.
Tomorrow, April 7th:
  • For the college baseball fans out there, UNC, the No. 1 ranked college mens' baseball team, has a home stand weekend (Friday-Sunday) battle versus Maryland.  Tickets are very affordable ($7-$10), and Sunday's game has a 1pm start time.  Home games are at Boshamer Stadium, and save $5 back for approved parking (nearby parking decks).
  • And the aforementioned Motorco is hosting a "Mad Men" premiere party tomorrow night.  Free admission, on the jumbo megatron.  Starts at 8pm, but arrive early enough to drink and fix your hair.
Monday, April 8th:
  • In what could be a problematic attention-divided night for me should Wichita State (hopefully) advance to the NCAA Championship Game, Monday is the Season Home Opener for the Durham BullsTickets are still available as I write this, but generally this frequently sells out...so act quickly. (Not to mention, it's predicted to be in the low to mid 70s at first pitch.  Ahh, spring.) **First pitch is at 605pm this year**, but allow some time (and a few bucks) for traffic parking in advance.
  • As mentioned above, Southern Rail will also be showing the NCAA Mens' Final game. (Complete with, I'm sure, the irritating send-off that CBS always does yearly with their "One Shining Moment" segment.  Even though I'll be watching the Bulls start, I always hate to see college basketball end.)
  • And the wonderful folks with Band Together have a *huge* event booked for May 4th and are seeking volunteers to help out.  Volunteer meeting is Monday, April 8th, 6pm, at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh...details found here. Their May 4th fundraiser will be at Cary’s Booth Amphitheater and has Lyle Lovett, Delta Rae, Chatham County Line, and the Mac and Juice Quartet on the bill. Proceeds will aid the Tammy Lynn Center for Developmental Disabilities, with a goal of $850,000. Tix start at $34.50 (plus fees, advance) for the lawn and are on sale now. If you can't volunteer to help on the 4th, come out to the show!
Days in between: 
  • Several things that involve me working, or exercising, or daydreaming, or all of the above, in here and that's not very exciting stuff, so I'll spare you.  Unless I win the lottery and then I'll update y'all before I leave from the international terminal.
 Friday,  April 12th:
  • Unfortunately, these two cannot be combined, and both are scheduled at the wonderful Carolina Theatre in Durham:  In one area, starting at 8pm, it's the Classic Albums Live series, this time with Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in its entirety, plus some other Floyd gems afterwards. Tix are $29-$39, and they do serve some tasty brews from their concession stand (which is not totally appropriate for this album, I agree, but proper stuffs are not legal in this state).  Up in the movie house at the Carolina, their Retroclassics Film Series has a doubleheader of "The Mummy" & "The Invisible Man" (yes, the originals...with Boris Karloff and Claude Rains!).  This monster tour-de-fierce starts at 7pm, and I think tix hold strong at $8 for both...and I cannot stress this enough...**get your tickets in advance if possible and get there early for both a good seat and tasty concessions**.  Several of these Retro series' movies have sold out/almost sold out this season. (Kudos to Jim and his great staff for bringing all their different Series to us, by the way.)  I still hold out hope for the classic "Wizard of Oz" film and this Floyd audio pairing someday in a proper theatre, though.
  • And while I adore Floyd and Boris and Claude (and Jim & his people!), I'm heading over to Raleigh instead for something even rarer:  to watch a restored print of Mary Pickford's "Dorothy Verndon of Haddon Hall" from 1924.  And thankfully, it will feature live piano accompaniment (amazingly, I've been to some silents that didn't...and it's damn trying in that format).  Starting at 8pm, this is an one-time only show at the North Carolina Museum of Art.  Tickets are $5-$7 (plus fees), and can be purchased online.  I do so have a weakness for the silent movies, and many are lost gems.  Hopefully, the original "America's Sweetheart" won't disappoint.
I'll probably be found in the popcorn line...


No comments: