03 February 2007

Rockin' the Cat's Cradle, Hoping for "Hell"

Another quick post, as a night's sleep calls me but I've had a request for this information as well from a reader. I'm thrilled to learn that I'm not the only one addicted to the local musical scene..one that I think rivals any other in the US (including the hospitable Live Music Capital of the World: Austin, Texas), especially when you consider our smallish population.

Yes, I am more than aware of the legendary Cat's Cradle in historic Carrboro, and yes, I have been there so often over the years that I practically could buy and replace my own worn butt-tested wooden bench by the posts. While my last show full show as a cash-paying customer there was taking in the phenomenally talented Junior Brown (otherwise, it seems I'm always helping others load stuff somewhere within a 1 mile radius of all the music venues on gig nights), I still try and make it over there as often as I can. For better or for worse, the Cradle has spoilt me on what a good live show should look and, most importantly, sound like. And, yes, it's still as good a place to play as it ever was...but the 'line of vision' from midway on back and just actual dance space for the customers will always be at a premium. Between the Cradle and The ArtsCenter (the latter which has hosted the likes of heavyweights Rodney Crowell, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, and Leon Russell within a matter of three months, among many others), that's one talent-packed building almost every night of the week. No wonder parking is always a problem.

Logo © Casey Burns and the Cat's Cradle.

Check out the upcoming schedule of events at the Cradle here.

And, yes, while I am heading out with some friends to go see Southern Culture on the Skids down the coast soon, I somehow 'missed' the 'reformed' Squirrel Nut Zippers' show coming up this Thursday (February 8) at the Cradle, which is, of course, sold out now. I have no idea how this got past me, but I feel appropriately guilty. I guess this proves I've been living under a rock or something, as the SNZ was once the most heralded local band here...and much, much adored by all of their fans, near and far. Their signature hit that got them so much national attention a few years back was a swinging little number called "Hell" (which is very appropriate for a song that showcases, and expends, a brilliant horn section). Their video follows, and is taken from YouTube, as usual. (The video was also shot and edited some locally, too, but that's another entry altogether.)
The Squirrel Nut Zippers in "Hell"

So don't be surprised if I'm absent next week that night from this blog...I'll be trying to score a ticket, some how, some way. I'm working on the sign now: will blog for great music.

Leave it to Carrboro to give you hell in a cradle.

No comments: