27 January 2007

Where My Heart is Today: Sydney at dawn

One last blast, taken a year ago (27 January), from the walkways surrounding my beloved Circular Quay in Sydney. I took these photos waiting for a friend...who never appeared and slept in instead. Oh well, their loss, as the Opera House and so many others kept me company. It was a sad day...always is a sad day...to leave, but Sydney at dawn is a beautiful sight still the same. And the clouds pictured below capture so well my emotions that day, too: fogged in a bit, obscured even, about what the future holds.


The Sydney Opera House, perhaps at the only time not being completely run over by Japanese (and other) tourists.


My beloved Circular Quay, complete with its early morning ferries loading up in the lower foreground.

And all I could think about while taking these photos, and actually sung at some points as I would see the arriving international flights occasionally peek through the cloud cover, was this old Merle Haggard classic, "Silver Wings" (lyrics from Leo's Lyrics, as usual):

"Silver Wings"
by Merle Haggard, ©Merle Haggard


Silver wings,
Shining in the sunlight,
Roaring engines,
Headed somewhere in flight
They're taking you away
Leaving me lonely
Silver wings
Slowly fading out of sight

Don't leave me I cried
Don't take that airplane ride
But you locked me out of your mind
Left me standing here behind

Silver wings,
Shining in the sunlight,
Roaring engines,
Headed somewhere in flight
They're taking you away
Leaving me lonely
Silver wings
Slowly fading out of sight

(Guitar break)

Silver wings,
Shining in the sunlight,
Roaring engines,
Headed somewhere in flight
They're taking you away
Leaving me lonely
Silver wings
Slowly fading out of sight
Slowly fading out of sight




Additionally, I owe all you dear readers an apology for all my 'waxing Aussie' for these last few days. I didn't intend, of course, to sound 'homesick' for the place, but that's exactly what happened. I realize this may have been tiresome for some to read, but, hey, it was some emotions and 'milestones' that I needed to get out of my system. (And it's my blog, too, after all. LOL.) This time a year ago I was on my way home here already...already cried out halfway to somewhere near Hawaii...and looking forward to new challenges, new dreams, new hopes. And I need to start doing so again. Thank you all for your indulgence these past few days.

No comments: